Thursday, August 7, 2008

Friends vs. Work Friends

Usually I blog about random things that happen to me and it turns out to be quite boring and overall uneventful.  Today, I'd like to blog about an actual topic.  I have no doubt this is shocking new to all of my loyal followers, haha.  Of course I am aware that I could count on my fingers (no thumbs!) of one hand the number of people who read this with any semblance of regularity.

Moving on, as you know I've been doing an internship for a real company this summer.  I love being downtown and I wish I could take advantage of it more.  Being in a completely different environment than I am used to, I have come to realize a few things. *Side note: I like my laptop keyboard more than my keyboard at work.*  I've realized that there are lots of different types of friends.  I am positive that most of you already knew this and to a certain extent, I was fully aware of this as well.  What I was unaware of were the work friends you acquire.

Work friends fall into the special category of, you guessed it, work.  You become friends with the people you work with out of necessity.  Sometimes you can make a really great friend, but that seems more likely to happen when you choose your friends.  Up to this point, I have almost exclusively worked with people who have already been my friends.  Thus they fall into the friends by choice category, not work friends.

What it comes down to is choice vs. necessity.  Although nothing is really that black and white, I feel that my friends from work are relationships based on necessity or sometimes forced interaction.  The relationships with my friends from school are based more on my choice of who I want to be with and associate with.  I do realize that there is a level of necessity with school friends since I choose from the small pool of CS majors, but I like to think we'd hang out even if we didn't have the geek factor to unite us.

I hope that I stay in contact with some of my new work friends, since they are really great people!  I will most likely wind up losing contact with the work friends who were more of a necessity than a choice.  In fact I can think of several people where this will be the case.  That's not say they aren't great people, we just aren't great together.

Since I seem to have written a novel blog post, I'll end with saying that I hope there is always choice in my life and not everything is from pure necessity.

No comments: