Sunday, February 8, 2009

Semester Goals

As my last semester at DePauw, I’ve sent some semester goals for myself.  When I refer to myself, I actually mean Shela and me.  These goals are rather informal, but we’ve been trying really hard to do things pertaining to these goals.

Goal #1: Be more social

There are lots of people that Ashley and I know and we would like to spend more time with them.  We’ve started having people over for dinner a lot.  So far, it’s been really enjoyable.  We get to share a meal with someone we like and talk about what’s going on.  Plus it encourages us to cook more than just mac and cheese, which we adore!

Goal #2: Have intellectual discussions

This goal sounds really dorky and we both realize that, but it fits us as people and it’s a great goal because we get to do so much with it!  We’re both in a women’s studies class and we’ve enjoyed the discussions that have sparked out of this.  Interestingly enough, these intellectual discussions outside of the classroom is an issue DePauw’s president is attempting to address.  Shlea and I feel we have been doing a great job of being intellectually engaged outside the classroom.  It’s great to have a friend that to discuss things with in such an open environment.  We both know there is no judgment and we’re able to share differing view points without anyone leaping at our throats or talking down to us.  I feel these discussions have taken our friendship beyond a social aspect to a level that shows our friendship will last beyond college years.  I think that’s a pretty good outcome.

Overall, I think we’ve done quite well in trying to reach the semester goals so far.  I regret not being a senior sooner so I could have figured out these goals earlier!

No comments: