Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Driving in Australia!

After being in Perth for about two weeks I had successfully done several things:

  1. Take the bus, train, or combination to Perth and Fremantle
  2. Arrive at destinations without making too much of a fool of myself
  3. Cross the street without being run over or close to it

At this point I was able to work up the courage to get behind the wheel of a car!  This entire action was only made possible by existence and ownership by Greg of a TomTom navigation device.  If it were not for the calming female voice telling to “Bear left” I probably would have stayed on one road because I was so busy saying “left-hand side of the road” over and over to myself.  Eventually it got a lot easier to drive around, but I never drove without TomTom.  You can think of it as my driving security blanket.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t program TomTom to tell me to stay on the left-hand side of the road.  That would be real technology…or at least real helpful.

No comments: