Monday, January 5, 2009

Whiteman Park

Today I went to Whiteman Park with Sniggle and her boyfriend Michael.  Whiteman Park has a great Wildlife Center that has lots of Australian animals.PICT3435  This is the sign you see when you enter the park.  Yes, that is a sign warning of kangaroos, buffaloes, and bobtails.

At Whiteman Park, we started with a Farm Show.  This was tons of fun and we got to see a sheep being sheared, learning how to crack a whip and the physics (?) behind it, and we got to see LAMBS!!  I loved seeing the lambs because it’s one of those words that has a silent B and like many people know, I love words that have silent B’s.  I was just making a nice list in my head. 

PICT3447

Anyway, I did love seeing the lambs, but I had a huge problem with them.  I thought there were really cute, but at the same time I know they are very delicious.  It was quite a conundrum until the guide told me that the lambs are for merino wool only and they won’t be eaten.  So I could pet them and think they are adorable and get all attached and want to take one home!

After the Farm Show we headed over to the Wombat and Friends Show.  This was extremely informative and very exciting!  I guess I always forget the the male bird is always flashier than the female.  Wombats are often orphaned because their mothers die by getting run over.  Wombats can run up to 40 kilometers per hour which is very surprising since their legs are about as long as a dauschaund’s.  An emu, which has much longer legs, can run as fast as 50 kilometers per hour.  Obviously, the wombat is keeping up!  Isn’t this wombat the cutest thing you’ve ever seen??  That’s Sniggles with me, by the way.PICT3450 Moving on with cool things that have happened to me today, I also got to pet a wallaby. rocko And when I say wallaby, I mean a full on “Rock’s Modern Life” wallaby.  Except the cow I got to pet wasn’t near the wallaby and I don’t think they were friends. Wallabies are very adorable and we got to pet one that was a baby!  He was an orphan and he sat in the volunteer’s lap as he would have in his mothers pouch.  Wallabies are smaller than kangaroos, but are very similar.  Once again, wallaby = very cute.  I also got to pet kangaroos!!  All the animals were really soft, it gave me warm fuzzies!

 

Did I mention I milked a cow too?

PICT3443

 

 

I took lots of pictures, so check them out on Flickr!

No comments: